The condenser must be cleaned regularly so that it can cope efficiently with the heat/energy drawn out from the refrigerator.
Refrigerator Condenser Cleaning
- Start by switching off the refrigerator and removing the plug from the power source. This is important as the compartment contains live components.
- Ensure that you pull the refrigerator out properly so that you can access it with a brush and vacuum cleaner.
- Open the filter and panel for access. Check the user manual for instructions on how to do this.
- Clean using a soft brush and vacuum cleaner. Be careful not to damage the condenser. There may be some sharp edges, so do not clean by hand.
- Clean any dust and grease from the filter and cover plates.
- Ensure that the filter and cover plates are dry before refitting.
In extreme cases, dust on the condenser at the back of a refrigerator and freezer may increase energy consumption by as much as 25 per cent.
Blocked filters and dust on the condenser also reduce the lifespan of the refrigerator.